Photo Encryption How To
Short description of how to carry some common photo encryption related tasks with WinTrezur.
Encrypted A2R Archives
- Create an encrypted archive: Select disk files and folders to add, right-click and select [Create Archive] from context menu. You can add more files and folders by drag & drop from Windows Explorer to the Create Archive window. Empty folders are skipped.
- Append files to an encrypted archive: Select disk files and folders to add, right-click and select [Append to Archive] from context menu. You can also drag & drop files and folders to an open A2R archive.
- Wipe original files: Always wipe (safely delete) the original file after you add them to an encrypted archive. Just deleting them is not enough. Right-click and select [Delete] from context menu, and there select [Wipe] option. Alternatively, use [Security / Wipe / File & Folders] menu.
- Extract files from an encrypted archive: Select archive files and folders to move, right-click and select [Copy To / Folder] from context menu. You can also drag & drop files and folders from an open A2R archive to a disk folder within WinTrezur.
- Move files and folders within an encrypted archive: Select archive files and folders to move, right-click and select [Move To / Folder] from context menu. You can also drag & drop files and folders within same open A2R archive. Moving to directory path that does not exist creates that directory (and all its sub-folders). The old directories (before) move are automatically removed if empty.
- Rename encrypted archive files and folders: To rename one file or folder within an archive, right-click and select [Rename] from context menu. If you want to move multiple files and folders, use the move operation (see above).
- Delete encrypted archive files and folders: Select archive files and folders to delete, right-click and select [Delete] from context menu. Select [Move to _Trash folder] option to move files to a temporary trash folder. This operation is fast. Once the trash folder contains several files and folders, you can right-click on it and select [Delete] from context menu to empty the trash folder and compact the archive. This operation may take some time depending on archive size.
- Restore a file or folder from archive _Trash folder: _Trash folder is a normal archive folder. Use the move operation (see above) to move files and folders in and out the _Trash folder.
- Search for file within an encrypted archive: Once within an open A2R archive, use [Edit / Search] menu to locate files and folders by name or text patterns within archive.
Cross Encrypted A2R Archive Operations
- Copy files from an encrypted archive to a new one: Select archive files and folders to copy to a new encrypted A2R archive, right-click and select [Copy To / New Archive] from context menu. If you do not specify a password (select Cancel on the password window) then same password as of the old archive is used (this is faster), otherwise files are decrypted and re-encrypted with the new password on the fly. Once the files are in the archive, you may delete the files in the original archive (see above).
- Copy files from an encrypted archive to an existing one: Select archive files and folders to copy to another A2R archive, right-click and select [Copy To / Existing Archive] from context menu. Alternatively, you can drag & drop files and folder from one open A2R archive to another open one, within same instance of WinTrezur. Once the files are in the other archive, you may delete the files in the original archive (see above).
Encryption and Passwords
- Share entered passwords for viewing encrypted archives: This option is convenient to view same WinTrezur instance several archives that share their passwords. In the password toolbar menu, select [Share A2R Passwords]. If this menu option is checked, then for new archives browsed within same WinTrezur instance, the already entered passwords of other archive will be tried out first, before asking you for a password.
- Changing encryption algorithm: In the password window, press [Ctrl+T] to access options (or click the options button, near encryption settings). There you can change the encryption type, selecting one or more encryption algorithms to be used. Encryption options must match during decryption.
- Using files as password: You can use several files as password, or (recommended) as part of a password. In the password window, press [Ctrl+Shift+O] or use the password option button to select [Set From Files] menu. Select same (unchanged) files in same order - the more the better. Append (or prepend) your own password to the generated one.
- Viewing text files: To view an text file inside and encrypted archive, right-click and select [Open] from the context menu. In the [Open] window, select [View with internal text viewer] option. If the file is a stand-alone (encrypted) text file, you can also use [Security / Text Editor] menu. The [Text Editor] can auto detect the text encoding of most text files.
- Encrypting text: When you paste text to an encrypted A2R archive, using right-click and select [Paste] from the context menu, then a new encrypted text file is created within the archive. While A2R archive text files are read-only, you can always paste a new copy of the text as a new text file (and delete the old file as needed). Alternatively, if you want to edit an encrypted text file often, use the [Security / Text Editor] menu. The [Text Editor] offers always by default to save the text files encrypted (A2R or A2 format).
- Making encrypted text files harder to break: If you choose to save a text file encrypted in A2R format, either part of an A2R archive, or from [Text Editor] then the A2R file contains always some random header data to confuse any attackers. You can manually, add random text to a text file (apart of your text), by using [Edit / Insert / Random Text] menu in [Text Editor].
- Storing file favorites: Select the interesting file(s) in file browser. You can also select files within an encrypted A2R archive. Open [Text Editor] if not open by using [Security / Text Editor] menu. In the [Text Editor] choose [Edit / Insert / Selected Files] menu. The current select file paths will be added as links. Check [Options / Detect Links] menu in [Text Editor] if not checked to see the links. Clicking in one of the file:// links in [Text Editor] opens its in the main file browser. You can repeat such an action as needed, and save the text file encrypted.
| Free for personal use. Downloads from this web site are safe. No warranties are made when downloading these applications from other sites.